Spires and Sacred Places

Tour curated by: The Battle of Baltimore Team

By the early 19th century, Baltimore's landscape was dotted with churches representing many denominations, including Friends, Methodists, Dunkers, Catholics, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Baptists. Though most of the religious structures standing in 1814 have been lost to fire or demolition, several congregations rebuilt in their original locations.

Locations for Tour

St. Patrick's Church. This church is erected on the west side of Market street, Fell's Point, at the corner of Bank street. It was erected in 1807, from a design of Thomas Conway and exhibits some pretensions to an imposing appearance, inasmuch as it…

German Reformed Church. This church is situated in Second street, between Gay and Belvidere streets, and is built after the usual barn-like fashion of places of public worship of its day, with the exception of its steeple, that is really both tall,…

St. Paul’s is known as the mother church of all Episcopal congregations in Baltimore. As one of the 30 original Anglican parishes that the General Assembly created under the Establishment Act of 1692, St. Paul’s (also known as Patapsco)…

The Gothic revival structure now known as Westminster Hall, part of the University of Maryland at Baltimore’s campus, was built in 1852 as the Westminster Presbyterian Church. Two established congregations—the First Presbyterian Church…

May they rest in peace in their narrow beds, covered by verdure ever fresh, and wild flowers ever blooming; and may the kindliest dew of Heaven distill upon their graves an emblem of our tears.”Niles’ Weekly Register, March 30,…

What is now known as the Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church, in West Baltimore’s Upton neighborhood, has its roots in South Baltimore at 112-116 Sharp Street. The mother church of African American Methodism in Maryland, this…