Camp Eagleston

At the north side of the entrance to Sollers’ Point on Bear Creek was Camp Eagleston named for the nearby farm of John Eagleston, a private in Captain Samuel McDonald’s company, 6th Maryland Regiment. The camp was one of several strategic militia outposts along with Colegate Creek, Swann Point and North Point to detect British naval movements. On August 5, 1813 the British established a naval base of operations on Kent Island for their subsequent attacks on Queenstown (August 13) and St. Michaels (August 10 and 26). Baltimore was threaten by several barges that had entered the mouth of the Patapso River that summer.

With the Baltimore militia brought into federal service, various infantry regiments were encamped here among the 519 men of Lt. Colonel Benjamin Fowler’s 39th Maryland Regiment. A year later on September 12, 1814, British naval barges with Congreve rockets entered Bear Creek towards the head of Bear Creek where the Battle of North Point had begun.

Source: William Jameson to Samuel Smith, August 7, 16, 1813. Samuel Smith Papers, MSS 18974, Reel 4, Containers 5-6, Library of Congress.

Street Address:

Sollers Point, Dundalk, MD 21222 [map]

Cite this Page:

Scott S. Sheads, “Camp Eagleston,” Battle of Baltimore, accessed December 6, 2019,
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story