Male School No. 1

A hub of education

Male School, No. 1, corner of Fayette and Green streets. This beautiful building has been recently erected after a design furnished by the late Wm. F. Small, which is remarkable for the taste of its design, and the excellence of its internal arrangement. The basement of the building will be occupied as a school for girls, and will readily accommodate 200 pupils. The principal room is for boys and has seats for 400 pupils.


Excerpted from John H.B. Latrobe, Jr., Picture of Baltimore (Baltimore, MD: Lucas Fielding, Jr., 1832), 217.

Access Information:

The school was replaced in 1880 with a new building designed by Francis E. Davis. In 1985, the site became the headquarters of the Maryland State Bar Association. It is located on the campus of the University of Maryland at Baltimore.

Street Address:

520 W Fayette St, Baltimore, MD 21201 [map]

Cite this Page:

John H.B. Latrobe, Jr., “Male School No. 1,” Battle of Baltimore, accessed November 13, 2018, http://www.battleofbaltimore.org/items/show/294.
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story