Holliday Street Theatre

In 1794, Messrs. Wignell and Reinagle appear to have been the prominent theatrical managers in Baltimore, and aided by a subscription they erected a small wooden Theatre in Holliday street. In 1813, this was pulled down, and the present Holliday street Theatre, was built by a joint stock company, under the directions of Warren and Wood so long known in this country as managers, and performers of merit. ...

Holliday Street Theatre. In Holliday street, between Fayette street and Lexington street; built as above mentioned in 1813 after a design of Robert Cary Long, Esq. It is not large, but is well arranged and tastefully decorated. There are three tiers of boxes, forming a semicircle around the pit, and supporting the dome. The stage is deep, and the width on the wings is such as to afford ample convenience for all the complicated fixtures and machinery of scenic display. The entrance to the boxes is by the centre door; the left hand door conducts to the pit, and the right to the gallery. The Theatre is lighted throughout with gas.


Excerpted from John H.B. Latrobe, Jr., Picture of Baltimore (Baltimore, MD: Lucas Fielding, Jr., 1832), 189.

Access Information:

The theater stood on what is now the War Memorial Plaza directly across from City Hall.

Street Address:

100 Holliday Street, Baltimore, MD 21202 [map]

Cite this Page:

John H.B. Latrobe, Jr., “Holliday Street Theatre,” Battle of Baltimore, accessed January 21, 2018, http://www.battleofbaltimore.org/items/show/277.
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story