This handsome edifice was begun in the year 1813, and finished in 1822 by a joint stock company, at the expense of $35,000. The object of its erection was for the accommodation of all the societies under the name of Lodges, belonging to the Masonic order. Its front which is on St. Paul street is 42 feet, and its depth on Courthouse lane, is 100 feet. The entablature of the recessed portico in front, is supported by two handsome fluted columns of the Doric order. Jacob Small, Esq. architect, gave the design and superintended its completion.
Excerpted from Charles Varle, A complete view of Baltimore (Baltimore, MD: Samuel Young, 1833), 41.