This spring is situated at the corner of East Pratt and Eden streets, and while it affords an equal supply of water with those last named, it far exceeds them in the architectural grace and beauty of its accommodations. In the accompanying plate, we have endeavoured to convey an idea of the very pretty and appropriate building which has been erected over it. It is of the Ionic order, and is well worthy of a visit from the curious stranger, as are likewise its fellows, above described. It has been finished since 1819, when it was purchased and improved by the city authorities for public use.
Excerpted from John H.B. Latrobe, Jr., Picture of Baltimore (Baltimore, MD: Lucas Fielding, Jr., 1832), 74.