This is a Spring similar to that which we have just described, situated at the corner of South Charles and Camden streets. Altho', at the present day, several squares intervene between it and the water,--the time was, when this spring also flowed from the bank, at the very edge of the basin or enlargement of Jones' Falls, at this place. Clopper, the original proprietor, supplied vessels with water from it, so close could they approach, and until lately it was known as Clopper's Spring: but with dome and columns came increase of dignity, and as the Western Fountain it is now admitted into the nomenclature of conspicuous objects in the City. It still serves its original purpose of supplying the craft that frequent the basin with water;--that which is not used at the spring being conducted by means of pipes underground to the wharf at Light street. It is ornamented in the same manner as the City Spring.
Excerpted from John H.B. Latrobe, Jr., Picture of Baltimore (1832), p. 73-74.