Fort McHenry

National Monument and Historic Shrine

Fort McHenry's history began in 1776 when the citizens of Baltimore Town feared an attack by British ships. An earthen star fort known as Fort Whetstone was quickly constructed. The fort, like Baltimore, was never attacked during our first conflict with England.

In 1793, France declared a war on England that became known as the Napoleonic Wars. In 1794, Congress authorized the construction of a series of coastal forts to protect our maritime frontier. Construction began on Fort McHenry in 1798 and, by 1803, the masonry walls we view today were completed. The fort was named for James McHenry, our second Secretary of War. In 1809, the U.S. Army's first light artillery unit was organized here.

On June 18, 1812, the United States declared war on England, in part to "preserve Free Trade & Sailor's Rights." In August 1814, British forces marched on Washington, defeated U.S. forces, and burned the Capitol. Then, on September 13-14, the British attacked Fort McHenry. The failure of the bombardment and sight of the American flag inspired Francis Scott Key to compose "The Star-Spangled Banner."

Images

Fort McHenry

Fort McHenry

View of the flag flying at Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine. | Source: Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine View File Details Page

Aerial, Fort McHenry

Aerial, Fort McHenry

Aerial view of Fort McHenry. View File Details Page

Aerial, Fort McHenry

Aerial, Fort McHenry

Aerial view of Fort McHenry showing the flag above the fort. View File Details Page

Street Address:

2400 E. Fort Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21230 [map]

Cite this Page:

Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, “Fort McHenry,” Battle of Baltimore, accessed September 23, 2017, http://www.battleofbaltimore.org/items/show/1.

Related Tours

Subjects

comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story